KUALA LUMPUR, (June 30) — The Home Ministry today denied reports posted by the social media on cases of children kidnapped in Malaysia for their organs.
Deputy Home Minister Datuk Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said so far, the police had not received any report on such a case.
“Claims of children being kidnapped and their organs harvested for sale, as reported on social websites, especially Facebook and Whatsapp, of late, are merely rumours.
“Intelligence confirmed no information was received in the country or abroad on syndicated sale of human organs by any quarters from this country,” he said during the Dewan Negara sitting.
He was responding to a question by Senator Datuk Raja Roopiah Raja Abdullah on the matter and plans by the government to address the problem.
Wan Junaidi said the process of harvesting organs involved clinical procedures which had to be conducted carefully and not as described in the social media.
He advised the public to not easily believed such information, spread by irresponsible quarters to create fear among the people.
To a supplementary question by Raja Roopiah on the number of child kidnap cases in Malaysia, Wan Junaidi said five cases had been reported between January and June this year and three of the cases were resolved. — BERNAMA