KUALA LUMPUR, May 30 (Bernama) — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said Friday no ransom was paid in the release of two women kidnapped from the Singamata Adventures and Reef Resort, Semporna, Sabah last April.
Expressing his appreciation and thanks to the security forces for the success in securing the release of the two victims, he said the government was taking steps to facilitate the return of one of the victims, a Chinese national, to her home as soon as possible.
“I have just been briefed by the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) that the two women abducted from a resort in Sabah last April had been rescued by our authorities.
“No ransom was paid to secure their release,” he said in a Twitter update.
On April 2, a woman tourist from China and a female worker were abducted by a group of seven armed men at the Singamata resort, in Semporna.
The Chinese woman, who was a student, was identified as Gao Hua Yuan, 29, from Shanghai while the female worker was a Filipina, aged 40, who was identified as Marcy Dayawan or Mimi.
The success was due to the cooperation between the Malaysian and Philippine security forces, Najib added.
Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar, through his twitter account, expressed his appreciation to the Malaysian and Philippine security forces for the close cooperation that resulted in the freeing of both victims.
“Many thanks to the Phillipine’s Security Forces for the assistance and hard work in the release of two victims kidnapped from Semporna, Sabah.
“Congratulations to the Special Branch @PDRMsia, on the continued hard work that succeeded in releasing the two hostages. The victims were in good health,” he said.
Earlier, Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib confirmed that the release of the two hostages was achieved through the cooperation of the Malaysian and Philippine police.
However, he declined to disclose the location of the two victims currently. –BERNAMA