SEMPORNA, (April 25) — All resort operators in the district have complied with a directive issued by the Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESScom) to cease employing illegal foreign workers.
ESScom director-general Datuk Mohammad Mentek said this showed the commitment of resort operators in assisting ESScom to rid resorts in Semporna of illegal immigrants.
“I am very satisfied with the cooperation shown by resort operators in the five islands, including Pom Pom, Mataking and Pulau Mabul,” he told reporters after a visit to check the level of security at the island resorts here today.
Also present at the visit were ESScom defence director Datuk Masrani Paiman, ESScom defence intelligence division director Mejar-General Datuk Mohd Noor Osman and ESScom security intelligence director Datuk Ahmad Nadzer Nordin.
Mohammad had earlier issued a warning to resort operators to rid their premises of illegal workers and banned nocturnal sea activities.
“Based on our observation in the last two days, I found resort operators have enhanced their level of preparedness in terms of security control. Most of the resorts have installed closed-circuit television cameras and employed more security guards at their premises,” he said.
On the reluctance of some resort operators to engage local workers as they could not speak English and work for long, he said such excuses were not valid as resorts in other parts of the country could operate with local workers.
The security initiatives were taken following a kidnapping at the Singamata Resort on April 2.