KOTA KINABALU,( April 14 ) — A government backbencher has urged the Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCom) to review its ‘modus operandi’ (method of operation) and not to be too exposed in the media.
Datuk Nasir Tun Sakaran (BN-Senallang) said ESSCom should scrutinise all strategies and work with more caution before informing the public to curb kidnapping, the latest on April 2 involving two foreigners at Singgamata Adventures and Reef Resort in Semporna.
“I am confident that our security forces are very good at planning strategies, especially when facing the enemies, including the kidnappers who are bold and used to commit such crime,” he said when debating the policy address of the Sabah Yang Dipertua Negeri in the State Assembly, here today.
The kidnapping should make all parties realise the need for a better security plan for Semporna which had been touted as a world class tourist resort.
Nasir said the plan includes the placing of two battalions (military and police) and the building of a police station on Pulau Mabul which has yet to be realised.
“We want a well equipped body that can safeguard isolated and strategic locations. Only then, the safety guarantee by ESSCom will become effective and credible.”
He feared the kidnappings would make the people scared and cause foreign tourists to boycott Semporna thus adversely affecting the area’s socio economy.
Semporna’s location which was too exposed to kidnappings was a dark chapter in its history, similar to the kidnapping of foreign tourists in Sipadan and Pandanan in 2001.
Nasir said the suggestion to close isolated resorts was not a solution as Singgamata Adventures and Reef Resort was located only 2km from Semporna town.
Chinese tourist Gao Hua Yuan,29, and Filipino resort worker Marcy Dayawan, 40, were kidnapped from Singgamata Adventures and Reef Resort by a group of seven armed men at 10.30 pm on April 2.– BERNAMA