TUMPAT, (March 30) — The government is still studying the proposed construction of security fence along Malaysia-Thailand border in Kelantan.
Ministry of Home Affairs secretary-general Datuk Mohamad Khalid Sharif said the study was by a special committee, which was set up to look at the cost and suitable sites.
“The committee, known as the Security Fence Technical Team, is still conducting an in-depth study, as it involves huge cost. We need co-operation from the Kelantan state government, as it may involve land matters,” he told a press conference at Marine Operations Force Base, near Tumpat, Sunday.
The construction of the fence was being proposed along the border between Kelantan and Narathiwat, Thailand, spanning a 126-km distance.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi had said last year the security fence would be constructed across the Malaysia-Thailand border in Kelantan to address illegal entry and smuggling activities.
Khalid said the government viewed very serious smuggling activities, especially on subsidised goods along the Malaysia-Thailand border.
“Subsidised goods are rampantly smuggled out of the country, and this is totally unacceptable.
“Smuggling activities must be addressed as it has an impact on the economy, security and social aspect. We must not allow prohibited items such as weapons to be smuggled into our country,” he said.
He also said the ministry would expand its anti-smuggling operations unit to Sabah and Sarawak as part of the government’s transformation plan to curb smuggling activities across the border.