LAHAD DATU, (Feb 6) — The security forces have thwarted yet another
attempt by certain quarters to encroach into the waters off Sabah’s east coast,
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said today.
He said the attempt was made at the end of last month and the security forces
nipped it in the bud.
“We are always at the ready to face any eventuality,” he told reporters after a
visit to the security post on Pulau Adal near here. Accompanying Khalid were
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib and Eastern Sabah Security Command
(ESSCom) director-general Datuk Mohammad Mentek.
Without elaborating, Khalid said the security forces would not give any room to
anyone at all to encroach into the country and commit crime.
Last December, the security forces foiled an attempt by certain quarters to
encroach into the state.
On the visit, Khalid said the security forces wanted to increase the number
of security posts in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone) to strengthen
security in the area.
“We have identified several strategic spots. Our target is to establish more
than 40 integrated security posts in the ESSZone,” he said.
He also said that the security forces were satisfied with the preparedness
of the security personnel tasked with ensuring security in the ESSZone.
“I notice that the security personnel serving at the integrated security
posts are always ready to face any eventuality,” he said.
Prior to visiting the security posts, including at the Mataking and Pom Pom
islands, Khalid also visited the new ESSCom office in Lahad Datu town. — BERNAMA