Sabah Police commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said today the latest extension of the 7 pm to 5 am curfew in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone) was from tomorrow (Christmas Day) to Jan 9 next year.
He said the curfew had been extended to ensure the security and well-being of fishermen, tourists and other people who used the waters off the coast of six districts, namely Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Kunak, Semporna and Tawau.
“It was also aimed at facilitating monitoring and curbing cross-border trafficking of people, drugs and firearms,” he said in a statement.
The curfew was imposed on July 19 following several cases of kidnapping of local people and tourists by foreign intruders who had come by sea.
Jalaluddin said the extension of the curfew had the support of chalet operators and fishermen.
All district police chiefs in the ESSZone had the authority to issue permits for pressing fishing or other marine activities, he said.– BERNAMA