KOTA KINABALU, (June 15 ) — A number of firearms seized during an operation to rid Sulu of armed intruders in Lahad Datu were functional, the High Court here was told Monday.
Armoury Unit Officer ASP Barnabas Madaun said a test had been conducted on the firearms at the Sabah police contingent headquarters in Kepayan.
He told the court he had conducted tests on some of the firearms and found them to be functional.
He said this when testifying in the trial of 30 individuals linked to an intrusion by Sulu gunmen at Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu in February 2013.
Barnabas told the court that on March 15, 2013, a number of firearms and ammunitions were sent to him for tests to be conducted.
Among the firearms were Garrand rifles, Colt firearms and .38 revolvers as well as various types of bullets.
Due to the large quantity, he said he divided the firearms and bullets into four parts and assigned each to himself and three other personnel to carry out the tests.
In the dock are 27 Filipinos and three local residents who are facing one to multiple charges of being members of a terrorist group and waging war against the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
They are also alleged to have recruited members for a terrorist group or wilfully harboured individuals they knew to be members of a terrorist group.
The offences were allegedly committed between Feb 12 and April 10, 2013.
The hearing, before Justice Stephen Chung at the Sabah Prisons Department, continues Tuesday.