TAIPING, (June 27) — Police are hunting down more members of a Sulu terrorist group involved in the intrusion incident in Lahad Datu, Sabah in February last year.
Inspector-General of Police, Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said this followed the arrest of six suspected Sulu terrorists in the Kunak district, Sabah last Wednesday.
“The number of those arrested in Kunak remains at six but we are targeting more arrests. I believe they (terrorists) cannot run anywhere and it’s a matter of time we nab them,” he said after the presentation of the Commando Beret 69 and honorary wings at the Outdoor Training Base, Ladang Allagar in Sungai Nyior, here, Friday.
He was earlier asked on claims that four of the six arrested had escaped from detention.
Also present were federal police director of Internal Security and Public Order Datuk Salleh Mat Rasid, director of Management Datuk Seri Mohamad Fuzi Harun and Perak police chief Datuk Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani.
Khalid also refuted the claim that the residents of Kunak are under curfew.
A police corporal was reported to be among the six arrested in Kunak in an operation conducted by Bukit Aman Special Branch police and a team from the Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCom).
They were all arrested under Section 124 (C) of the Penal Code and are being investigated under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012.
In February last year, a group of armed Sulu terrorists intruded Lahad Datu followed by a skirmish between them and Malaysian security forces, in which eight policemen and two soldiers were killed.– BERNAMA