SANDAKAN, (Feb 25) — The Health Ministry is developing a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for high-risk areas based on its experience of being involved in ‘Ops Daulat’ during the Lahad Datu terrorist intrusion last year.
Its minister, Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam said the SOP would ensure that measures and actions taken would take into account the interests and safety of ministry personnel and security of public assets.
“This will help our medical teams formulate action plans during emergencies.
“The SOP will be a source of reference and a guide on its policies and rules so that measures deployed will take into account the interests and safety of ministry personnel and the public,” he said at the conferment of Pingat Kedaulatan Negara to 199 medical and health personnel involved in ‘Ops Daulat’, here Tuesday.
Speaking to reporters later, he said such SOP was vital to enable ministry personnel to stay safe as they would be working under trying conditions.
Urging all relevant departments and agencies under the ministry to follow-up on the proposed SOP, he said the SOP could be implemented as the ministry could draw its experience from its disaster-relief SOP.
He said although the Armed Forces had its own medical teams during ‘Ops Daulat’, it was inadequate and the Health Ministry’s assistance was needed.– BERNAMA