TAWAU, (Jan 12) — Police have studied the footage of close-circuit television cameras at 25 premises which were damaged in the shooting incident around Kota Kinabalu last Friday and have found new leads about the suspects and the routes they took.
Sabah police commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said Sabah police had also set up a special team, led by its CID chief SAC Omar Mammah, to investigate the case from all aspects and to hold road blocks to find the culprits.
He said initial investigation confirmed that the shooting incident was the work of mischievous teenagers who went on firing marbles with air-rifles at the glass doors of the affected premises.
“However, it’s too early to tell whether they are moving individually or as an organised crime gang, or is it masterminded by a certain quarter wishing to cause uneasiness among the people,” he told reporters here last night.
It was reported that the incident, which began at 11.45 pm on Friday involved a total of 13 business premises in Karamunsing, nine in Luyang and three banks in Inanam.
Hamza also advised the public not to trust rumours that the culprits were shooting at people, especially those being circulated through the social media.
He said such rumours were not true and that the shooters’ targets were only premises and not people.
“This is probably the act of those who do not like to see peace and stability in the state,” he said.
Meanwhile, Kota Kinabalu police chief ACP Jauteh Dikun, when contacted, refuted the allegation that another shooting incident which damaged several premises here had occurred last night.
He also refuted the report that the suspects in the case had been arrested.
He said both the allegation and the report were baseless.
“There was no new incident reported as at last night,” he added.– BERNAMA