TAWAU: Security in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZONE) has returned to normal, said Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) security intelligence division director, Datuk Ahmad Nadzer Nordin.
However he said security forces from various agencies including the military, police and the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency would continue to monitor the situation closely.
“I have been approached by two senior officers of the Canadian and Australian High Commissions in Lahad Datu on the actual security situation in Sabah especialy is Sabah’s east coast. I told them the security situation in Sabah’s east coast has returned to normal but monitoring is still being carried out,” he said.
Ahmad Nadzer was replying to a question by Partners of Community Organisation in Sabah (Pacos) Trust executive director, Anne Lasimbang at an open forum held during a workshop on Building Kampung Pulau Sebatik leadership capacity yesterday.
Anne Lasimbang asked on the worries of Australian students on the security situation in Sabah especially in the east coast of the state after Australia issued a travel advisory to its people following a terrorist intrusion in Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu on February 12.
The one-day programme was organised by The Asia Foundation, Partners of Community Organisation in Sabah (Pacos) Trust and Tidung Tawau Community Association (Pakot) to discuss the issues and challenges of Pulau Sebatik security.
Ahmad Nadzer said when he was briefing a group of heads of foreign missions in the federal capital on the security situation in ESSZONE areas, the same assurrance was also given to them.
According Ahmad Nadzer, foreign embassies in the country were also told the actual situation at ESSZONE and believed the confidence of foreign countries on Sabah security have been restored.
As an example, he said there was a growing presence of tourists in Sabah including the island resorts on Sabah east coast.
On the Malaysian approach in resolving the terrorist intrusion incident in Sabah, Ahmad Nadzer said many foreign countries had praised Malaysia in resolving the case in a civilised manner.
He said the remaining terrorists and those suspected involved in the intrusion had been apprehended and were being charged in court and they were allowed to be defended by their appointed counsel.–Bernama